7 Ways To Be Insufferable On Facebook


The memory is vivid.

New Year's Day, 2013.  I'm going about my afternoon pleasantly, when I open my email and a friend has forwarded me what she calls a particularly heinous Facebook status from her newsfeed, written by someone we'll call Daniel.  It read:
2012 was a biggg year for me. I left my amazing job at NBC to move back to Chicago. I started dating my angel, Jaime Holland. I started yoga (thanks Jake Fisher & Jonah Perlstein!). I wrote an album with Matthew Johannson. Wrote another album I'm proud of. I got to hang with Owen Wilson, and worked with Will Ferrell on an amazing project. Had a conversation about Barack Obama with David Gregory. Danced. Joined a kickball team. Won a couple awards. Helped my sister plan her summer trip. Swam a lot. Golfed a little. Cried more than you would think. Read The World According to Garp. Saw Apocolypse Now. Went to Miami for the NBA Finals. Drank the best orange juice I've ever had with Davey Welch. Tweeted. Went to amazing weddings in Upstate New York. Drank a ridiculous amount of milk. Learned how to make sand art. Saw a great light show. Saw the Angels and Lakers. Fell in love with Jawbone Up. Cooked with Jaime. Gardened with Jaime. Watched Homeland with Jaime. Wrestled with Jaime. Laughed for hours with Jaime. Fell in love with Jaime's family. Worked on a play. Played World of Warcraft. Did some improv. Played a ton of the guitar. Really just had a wild, amazing year. What a world.
By the time I finished reading, I realized that my non-phone hand was clutching tightly to my forehead, forcefully scrunching my forehead skin together.  I had the same facial expression I'd have on if someone made me watch a live event where people had their skin slowly peeled off.

It was everything bad about everything, all at once.

But instead of distancing myself from the horror, I soaked in it.  I read it again and again, fascinated by how something could be so aggressively unappealing.

It made me think about what makes terrible Facebook behavior terrible, and why other Facebook behavior isn't annoying at all.  It comes down to a pretty simple rule:

A Facebook status is annoying if it primarily serves the author and does nothing positive for anyone reading it.
To examine this a bit, let’s start by discussing the defining characteristics of statuses that are not annoying.

To be unannoying, a Facebook status typically has to be one of two things: 

1) Interesting/Informative 

2) Funny/Amusing/Entertaining 

You know why these are unannoying? Because things in those two categories do something for me, the reader. They make my day a little better.

Ideally, interesting statuses would be fascinating and original (or a link to something that is), and funny ones would be hilarious. But I’ll happily take mildly amusing—at least we're still dealing with the good guys.

On the other hand, annoying statuses typically reek of one or more of these five motivations: 

1) Image Crafting. The author wants to affect the way people think of her.

2) Narcissism. The author’s thoughts, opinions, and life philosophies matter. The author and the author’s life are interesting in and of themselves.

3) Attention Craving. The author wants attention.

4) Jealousy Inducing. The author wants to make people jealous of him or his life.

5) Loneliness. The author is feeling lonely and wants Facebook to make it better. This is the least heinous of the five—but seeing a lonely person acting lonely on Facebook makes me and everyone else sad. So the person is essentially spreading their sadness, and that’s a shitty thing to do, so it’s on the list.

Facebook is infested with these five motivations—other than a few really saintly people, most people I know, myself certainly included, are guilty of at least some of this nonsense here and there.  It's an epidemic.

To lay out the most common types of offenses—

7 Ways To Be Insufferable on Facebook:

1) The Brag

Bragging is such a staple of unfortunate Facebook behavior, it needs to be broken into three subsections: 

1a) The “I’m Living Quite the Life” Brag

Description: A post making your life sound great, either in a macro sense (got your dream job, got your degree, love your new apartment) or a micro sense (taking off on an amazing trip, huge weekend coming up, heading out on a fun night with friends, just had an amazing day)

Examples:
  • Guess who just got her TFA acceptance letter!!! 
  • Hawaii! 
  • Tailgating, Giants game, night out with Dave, Matt, Paul, and Andy. I love you, Saturday. 
Core reasons for posting: Image Crafting (I’m successful; I’m happy; I have a great social life), Jealousy Inducing

So at best, you’re just really excited about your life and you need to tell everyone, and at worst you’re specifically hoping to make people feel worse about their lives and jealous of yours. Somewhere in the middle would be you calculatingly crafting your words as part of an unendearing and transparent campaign to make people see you in a certain way.

Let’s give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re just excited and need to brag to someone. Even if that’s the case, the only people it’s okay to brag to in life are your close friends, significant other, and family members—and that’s what email, texting, phone calls, and live talking are for. Your moment of self-satisfaction is profoundly annoying to people you’re not that close with, and they make up the vast majority of people who will be subjected to the status.

1b) The Undercover Brag

Description: Like the blatant brags above except behind a frail disguise. This includes all humblebrags, indirect brags, brags disguised as a rant, etc.

Examples:

  • Apparently they now give PhDs to frauds and drunks. What a time to be alive! 
  • I’ll be traveling for the summer if anyone knows someone looking to sublease a Soho apartment in July and August. 
  • On my walk home from work, I was whistled at twice, honked at twice, and one car almost caused an accident slowing down to stare at me. Sometimes I really hate men. 


Core reasons for posting: Image Crafting, Jealousy Inducing

On one hand, these people are at least self-aware enough to cloak their brag in something. On the other hand, they have the same exact core motivations as the blatant braggers and looking at these examples actually makes the first group seem almost lovable in comparison.

1c) The “I’m In a Great Relationship” Brag

Description: A public expression of your extremely positive feelings for your significant other or an anecdote signifying the perfection of your relationship.

Examples:

  • A surprise trip to Vermont for two nights in a cabin. All I can say is Wow, what a boyfriend. 
  • Thanks, Rachel, for the best year of my life.
  • Excited for a rainy Sunday of pizza, games, and movies with the wife. 

Core reasons for posting: Image Crafting (FYI, I have a boyfriend; I’m in a wonderful relationship), Jealousy Inducing

The image crafting and jealousy inducing motives here are transparent. The only less-appalling possibility could be that it’s an attempt to strengthen the relationship itself by showing how you feel in a more substantial way than just saying it in private. But really? You’re gonna drag 800 of us into this shit because you couldn’t find a more creative way to go over the top in expressing yourself?

The one very funny possibility when it’s a guy posting is that either he’s in trouble for something or that his girlfriend’s friend’s boyfriend pulled some shit like this at some point and his girlfriend has now been 10% mad at him ever since it happened, so he finally has to just bite the bullet.

The fact is, there’s no excuse for it, because if you feel the need to plaster your relationship all over Facebook, there are plenty of socially acceptable ways to do so—go nuts with couple profile photos, and enjoy three separate moments of like button and comment applause when you change your status to “in a relationship,” “engaged,” and “married.”

2) The Cryptic Cliffhanger

Description: A post that makes it clear that something good or bad is happening in your life without disclosing any details.

Examples:

  • That’s IT. I am DONE dating. 
  • This could be a biggggg day… 
  • Moments like these make all of the struggle and all of the pain worth it.
  • Ughhhhhhhhh 

Core reasons for posting: Attention Craving

The fun part of these is watching the inevitable comments and then watching how the author responds to them, if at all. This process slots the author into one of four sub-categories:
  • The celebrity: The author stays silent, treating the commenters like gawking fans. 
  • 800 people’s collective high-maintenance girlfriend: The author explains everything in the comments, which means he wanted to talk publicly about it, but he didn’t want to just tell the public, he wanted the public to ask him about it. 
  • The tortured protagonist: It's something bad. The author responds but maintains the mystery—she's unhappy about it and she “doesn’t feel like getting into it.” 
  • Everybody's special princess: It's something exciting. The author responds but maintains the mystery—it’s really good and he “can’t say yet but you’ll find out soon!” Now you’ll have an extra hop in your step as you wait for the big news with bated breath! This is a special one because it also brings Narcissism, Jealousy Inducing, and Image Crafting in. What a fun person to have in your life! 

3) The Literal Status Update

Description: An actual status update on someone’s mundane day.

Examples:

  • Off to the gym, then class reading 
  • Dumplings! 
  • Finally finished my paper! 

Core reasons for posting: Loneliness; Narcissism; Thinking a status update is supposed to be an actual status update

Allow me to present a visual—


“Finally finished my paper!” Okay…and? What are you looking for here? A fake congratulation from a bunch of people who aren’t emotionally invested in your struggle? Finishing your paper is green territory on the above chart, or if you had been working on it for a couple months, it might scrape the outer edges of the orange. For 90+% of the people who will read the status, it doesn’t come near the red territory, which is all they care about.

Off to the gym, then class reading. Oh is that what’s on tap for tonight? Who exactly are you telling this to? I really want to get to the bottom of this. At some point between leaving work and arriving at the gym, you had an impulse to take out your phone and type this status. Then you put your phone away. Tell me what was accomplished.

We’re talking about serious blue territory here, which means that even your mom doesn’t give a shit. A lot of annoying statuses fall far from red territory, but they all serve the author in some way, which is why they’re posted.

But info about your schedule doesn’t do anything to craft your image or induce jealousy in anyone—so it just seems a lot like Attention Craving’s sad cousin, Loneliness. I suppose it’s nice that Facebook gives a lonely person someone to tell their day to, and if these statuses didn’t come with the byproduct of reminding everyone else that life is meaningless and they’re gonna die someday, they wouldn’t have to be on this list.

The other possible explanation is severe narcissism, as if somehow, because you’re you, even the smallest details of your life are interesting to others. A weird part of the life of a major celebrity is that people are obsessed with everything about them, even their blue territory. If you’re not a major celebrity, this is not a problem you have, I promise.

4) The Inexplicably-Public Private Message 

Description: A public posting from one person to another that has no good reason to be public. 

Examples:

  • I miss you! When are we hanging out? 
  • What a weekend with Julie Epstein and Emily Rothchild.  I love my girls!
  • All private jokes.

Core reasons for posting: Image Crafting; Jealousy Inducing; Narcissism; You’re over 80 and don’t realize there's a difference between a public post and a private message.

My grandmother aside, there is no good reason to ever do this. Good is the key word. There are lots of very annoying reasons to do this. Let’s list them:
  • - To make yourself seem cool and social and make your social life seem vibrant and fun 
  • - To show everyone what good friends you and the recipient are 
  • - To make people jealous or feel worse about their own lives 
  • - Because you’re acting like you’re in high school and you’re one of the popular kids whose social situation is actually an important thing for people 
The one possibility I enjoy is that the message is written to be jealousy-inducing specifically for one individual who will likely be seeing it, whether it be an ex or a friend they hate. That kind of malice is so extreme it crosses over the far line and becomes awesome.

5) The Out-Of-Nowhere Oscar Acceptance Speech

Description: An outpouring of love for no clear reason and aimed at no one in particular

Example: I just want to say how thankful I am for all of you who have touched my life. Your support means everything and I couldn’t have gotten through a lot of things in the last year without you!

Core reasons for posting: Attention Craving

I refuse to believe you feel a genuine outpouring of love for your 800 Facebook friends. And if you felt suddenly emotional about your best friends and family, is a public status really the way you’d express it? Wouldn’t contacting a few people by email or text be a lot more personal and genuine? Not relevant, because that’s not what’s happening here.

What’s happening here can really be boiled down to, “Hey everyone! I’m here! Hug me!” You know the inevitable response to one of these statuses, no matter who you are, will be dozens of like button hugs and comment arm squeezes. And isn’t that a little needy of you? You’re not feeling loving when you write this post—you’re feeling the need to feel loved. 

The one time this is somewhat acceptable is when it’s part of a huge collective group hug, like on Thanksgiving or Christmas. If you open Facebook on Thanksgiving, you’ll be treated to hundreds of Out-Of-Nowhere Oscar Acceptance Speeches. (These I could also do without, if you’re wondering.)

6) The Incredibly Obvious Opinion


Description: When a big event happens, a post chiming in with the opinion we’ve heard 1,000 times.

Examples:

  • I feel so deeply for the Egyptian people fighting for their right to freedom. Everyone has a right to freedom and I pray that they prevail. 
  • My thoughts and prayers are with the families in Newtown after this unspeakable tragedy. I have no words to express my sorrow for those who lost a child. 
  • I’m disappointed about some things about Obama’s first term, but I’m happy he was reelected and hopeful about what his second term can bring. 

Core reasons for posting: Narcissism; Image Crafting (I’m the kind of person that has this particular opinion or reaction; I'm smart and I can say adult things)

These are annoying because A) you’re not saying anything remotely original or interesting on an event the media is already flooding our airways about, covering every possible angle, and B) you’re now making a huge, and often tragic event, partially about you. The sadness you’re feeling about the massacre of children isn’t really a key piece of the puzzle here, and you need not describe to us what the event looks like through your personal lens, especially when the lens is just transparent glass—if I want a side dish of narcissism along with my tragedy, I’ll just read celebrity tweets about the event.

7) The Step Toward Enlightenment

Description: An unsolicited nugget of wisdom.

Examples:

  • “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” ~Buddha 
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. ~Proverbs 3:5-6 
  • I don't see what the big deal is about new years and people claiming how different they are going to be next year. If you want to better yourself it shouldn't matter what day of the year it is.... Me? Im going to be the same person I am today tomorrow.

Core reasons for posting: Image Crafting; Narcissism

Oh, where to begin.

First of all, let’s be entirely clear that there is no humility involved in a Step Toward Enlightenment post simply because you might be quoting someone else—the clear patronizing message is, “Ahh hello Facebook Friends. I am one who knows the secrets of life—allow me to teach you so that you too can one day find enlightenment.”

Secondly—you know what inspires people? You achieving something incredible and letting it be an example and inspiration to others. For your words alone to be inspirational, you need to be a gifted speaker or writer who really has something original to say—and we both know that’s not you. So for you to consider yourself an inspirational character by simply posting trite quotes is, well, flagrantly narcissistic. You’re assuming that you, just by being you, are inspirational.

Thirdly, let’s get to your real motive with these statuses—Image Crafting. You want people to see how enlightened you are and admire the spiritual journey you’re on.

* * * 

Our friend Daniel's post was quite a feat—in one simple paragraph, he sliced through my soul, accomplishing nearly every terrible status type and motivation discussed above.  The thing is, though, that if you looked right below his post, all you saw were likes and a couple friendly comments.

And that's why insufferable Facebook behavior will never go away—there’s no dislike button or eye-roll button or middle finger button on Facebook, and it’s bad form to be too much of a dick in the comments below a status. So annoying statuses are just positively reinforced, and people remain un-self-aware that they regularly bring down the quality of everyone else’s life.

The bigger point here is that the qualities of annoying statuses are normal human qualities—everyone needs to brag to someone here and there, everyone has moments of weakness when they need attention or feel lonely, and everyone has some downright ugly qualities that are gonna come out at one time or another.

And that’s why you have people who love you. 

The thing that Daniel and most others haven't internalized is the fact that if they have 800 Facebook friends, only about 10 or 15 love them. For an especially lovable person, maybe it’s as high as 30. Between 1 and 4%. That means that between 96 and 99% of your Facebook friends DO NOT LOVE YOU.

People who don’t love you don’t care about you or your day or your life that much, they’re probably not especially rooting for you, and they certainly want nothing to do with your worst qualities. And you doing something purely to serve your emotional or egotistical needs really should not show up on their computer screen—it just shouldn’t.

Okay, gotta go.  Off to the gym, then dinner, then home, then bed.

--------

For an update on what our favorite Facebook characters are doing for the holidays, visit our holiday update.





Like this post on Facebook:

Like Wait But Why on Facebook:

349 comments:

  1. If I had to categorize this post, I'd say it's a combination of narcissism, attention-craving and loneliness ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO SHES ON A BLOG THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO THESE THINGS

      Delete
    2. I'm with you Anonymous! Haha.

      ps : i do the enlightenment thingy. LOL.

      Delete
  2. what a complete and utter piece of shit article.. I am sorry that your life is so sad but others are proud of what they have and accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to lighten up, dude. The article is humorously truthful.

      Delete
    2. Going to sleep is an accomplishment?

      Delete
    3. Chicks dig me because I didn't write this article.

      Delete
    4. there's a difference between being proud and trying to broadcast your accomplishments to the world so you can garner further attention lol. eccentric much?

      Delete
    5. I agree, all of the things happens in facebook are human being behaviour, and it's okay I guess. People need attention, love etc. That's why you're pursuing your career, get a good job, salary, title, bcs one of the human being needs is recognition from another people. So I guess maybe you are lonely and up till now, there's no one recognize you, hehe. chill bro, I know maybe this article is funny, but it's not needed, everyone know and understand it clearly.

      Delete
    6. If people stopped posting annoying stuff on facebook, it would crash. It would be the end of days. Everybody does it.

      Delete
    7. Everybody needs to lighten up, this is a HILARIOUS article. Honestly, calm down.

      Delete
    8. This article is hilarious! It seems like the people that are the most offended, are probably the worst offenders. Most of the time when people update their statuses these days (about 90% of the time), it's something stupid and ridiculous and I curse myself for even logging on Facebook and wasting my time. These words come out of my mouth for everything, "Shut up (insert name here)!" Because it is the same boring status....every....day.... I agree with this person, I am an offender for somethings, but I think this was hilarious and I reposted it because I think everyone on Facebook should read the article. :)

      Delete
    9. all these angry people calling the author bitter are thinking about how many of their own posts people are thinking of when they read this.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what Katie and Homer are getting so butthurt about. This author is eloquently stating what everyone else is thinking. Stop looking for attention. Enough with the holiday posts, vacation posts, "got a new job" posts, and anything else that is purely meant to get people to like your status. If we're interested, we'll ask you personally. Be a little more original in your statuses. Post something that people can relate to without making it all about yourself. Make people laugh. A large portion of my statuses are jokes. Maybe you should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't assuming YOU know what people should post on their own personal page the absolute ultimate in "making it all be about yourself"???

      Delete
    2. This is social media. It is for your friends to keep up with your personal life. It is sharing what you find to be interesting or funny. I think the heart of the problem here is that people 'friend' virtually anyone who asks. If you don't want someone's updates, don't friend them, or else hide their posts. Problem solved.

      Delete
    3. Feel the butthurt

      Delete
    4. The entire reason I'm on Facebook is to keep up with the lives of my friends and family and to help them keep up with me. If all of them stopped posting about themselves and the big and little and absolutely minute events of their lives and instead started posting links to HuffPost articles or endless jokes, I would no longer have any interest in being on Facebook. If my friends want to brag about some accomplishment or just take a second to express their satisfacation (or dissatisfaction) with some aspect of their lives, then I want to share that with them. Not wanting others to "bore" you with their thoughts and feelings and everyday accomplishments but instead "entertain" or "educate" or "uplift" YOU in some fashion is pretty much the height of selfishness.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Funny, I thought it was for keeping up with people. I have collegaues on FB. I need to know when they've changed jobs. I have family on FB, and I like knowing how my neices' gymnastics competitions went. I have friends on FB, who have genuiniely tough stuff going on, but schedules make it tough to connect -- and I don't know about YOU, but messages only work about a third of the time for me.

      So for the rest of us, who are humans, it's a valuable tool for communicating a consistent amount of information to those who have expressed interest in that information.

      Delete
  4. Or you could just come over to Google+ where this issue pretty much doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a tree falls in the forest...

      Delete
    2. Haha! Google+ barely exists :)

      Delete
  5. Fair points all around. To answer Unknown's question—it's all about that graph at the top, with the A, B, and C regions. Any status whose goal is to amuse or entertain or inform people—whether or not the goal succeeds—is not annoying. Because the intent was to provide something positive to others. "To amuse or entertain or inform" is a BROAD category. Lots and lots of types of statuses fit the definition.

    The reason people end up being annoying is that they mistake Facebook for being a good place to communicate with your close friends and family. They post for those people with no consideration that 95% of the people that will spend a few seconds of their day reading the post are nothing more than acquaintances.

    And a post that is meant for 50 close friends and is irrelevant or annoying for the 500+ acquaintances who will also see it isn't a great thing to post on Facebook. The rule of thumb I'd use for posting statuses is to think about what you'd like to share with your acquaintances. If at least 80% of posts are specifically targeted toward your large mass of acquaintances and no more than 20% are targeted toward your close people, you're one of the good guys.

    If you don't have interest in creating most of your posts for your large group of acquaintances, Facebook isn't the right place for your posts—try Google+ or a private Facebook group or an email chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you, the social media police now? YOU get to decide what is the right place or forum for someone's posts, because YOU decide that? Man, some people really ARE insanely narcissistic...

      Delete
    2. No, he doesn't get to "decide." He gets to INFORM us that what we're doing is annoying. And he's right. Most status updates on Facebook are annoying to most people. If you're someone who doesn't mind your friends (as well as plenty of people you barely know) bragging, cryptically fishing for attention, outlining the quotidian details of their daily routine, stating the obvious, and conducting private conversations in a public space, then you're in the minority.

      Delete
    3. Then you should delete everyone that you find annoying. If everyone else follows suit then the offenders will have no more facebook friends and the problem will solve itself.

      Delete
    4. Or you could just trim down your Facebook friends list to a manageable number of people whose lives you actually give a shit about (and who would care about yours in return).

      The entire purpose of Facebook is to connect with people. I LIKE hearing about other people's days. And if I don't, well, I skim, and no harm done. If I just wanted the whole community to be nothing but witty remarks and news updates, I'd join Reddit or something.

      Delete
    5. It depends why you use Facebook. I think most people use it to update their friends on their lives, not to pander to their attention span. When I go on facebook, I want to share things about my life. If you're afraid that you aren't "interesting" or "entertaining", you're pretty insecure. Seriously, dude, lighten up.

      Delete
    6. Seems like you hit a nerve with a lot of narcissists. Perhaps you are on the right track after all, despite their protesting too much... :)

      Delete
    7. I get annoyed with some people's posts. I delete the person from my friends list or hide their posts. Or, maybe people should not friend every person they've known since grade school. Maybe a person should friend their "friends" and close family rather than every person they meet.

      Delete
    8. I think Unknown has a point here. It sounds like you're cribbing because you have too many people on your Facebook who you don't really give a damn about. When I see posts like "got a great job/boyfriend" or anything, it makes me happy, because I live 6000 miles away from a lot of people I care about. I'm not saying I have 300 soulmates, but I shared something with these people and it's wonderful to see that good things are happening in their lives. And if bad things happen, I'd like to know too, if only to empathize and wish them well. And yes, I know I can post things that possibly only a portion of people will get, but the others don't need to respond or care if it has nothing to do with them.
      Perhaps you should consider that a lot of people on your friends list may just be using Facebook differently that you are? Being a little discerning about who you add to your list might make all of these annoyances go away. :)

      Delete
    9. I guess that is the point, do you think those people who live 6000 miles away care that you are going to the gym?
      This article was spot on, thank you so much, I have many close friends who do exactly the holiday photo thing, tagging people who aren't even there in their images writing "wish you were here" and #yolo all over the place.
      "Loving life", "life is great", "amazing to be travelling again".
      You know what the general trend is, those posts get snarky replies like "wow you do travel a lot" or one or two likes from the people they are travelling with.
      When I read those posts you know what I feel? Annoyance because I immediately feel that these people are rubbing their amazing lives into the noses of their friends who aren't currently travelling or maybe cannot afford to travel.

      I'm going to share the hell out of this article on facebook and use another famous and infuriating Facebook technique to get people to read it:

      "If you don't read and like this article you hate kittens and Jesus"

      Delete
    10. Gabriel Hickey that's the real deal! As a philosopher, may I say that this article is so brilliant and accurate. (Sorry for my english, isn't very good)

      Delete
    11. Ok, I know this is probably naive and is certainly self-serving or I wouldn't bother... But you can set the audience on each Facebook post to 'close friends', 'public', or some custom group. Why wouldn't you just use that feature to post as appropriate to the selected audience? My observation is that the issues people have with Facebook are often that they don't understand how they can apply controls to manage what they see and what others see. Granted, it is overly complex and changes to Facebook's "privacy" features impact our faith that we really do have any control. Nobody's perfect and all software has bugs, but we shouldn't let any of that stop us from having a go. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong, if you disagree.

      Delete
  6. I think the only thing this article proves is that the person who wrote it is apparently an expert on being a douche on Facebook. You know what they say...takes one to know one. That, or they've missed the whole point of the internet and social networking entirely. Unknown already made the point that if you eliminated all content from Facebook that violated these seven "rules", Facebook would become irrelevant. People don't join Facebook so they can send each other private messages (perhaps grandparents excluded), they join so they can engage in the types of behaviors condemned by this article.

    The author seems to do a good job of playing at psychology, but it's just that-playing. If the person who wrote this article actually understood humans or how they function, they'd understand that Facebook is just the newest version of something people have always done, which is to preen in public. What other reason were/are birth, death, wedding and engagement announcements posted in newspapers, where the vast majority of people reading them aren't going to know or care about the people in the announcement? This shit isn't new, it has just evolved with the flow of technology. Before, we had to wait to read the newspaper to find all this stuff out, but we people are all about instant gratification and Facebook provides that. We're all just rats in Skinner's box, and comments on a status update are the little sugar pellets.

    The other thing the author fails to mention is that many people are all about keeping up with the Jones'. So when they read that Susie Blahblah is off to Hawaii, they just smirk to themselves while they read the update on the veranda of their McMansion. On their iPhone, of course. I'd recommend the author look up the term schadenfruede, and then maybe they might understand Facebook just that much better. But if they don't like humans behaving like humans ALWAYS HAVE on the internet, they should probably go read a book or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely and utterly agree.

      I've never really had a F2F conversation with someone that wouldn't also involve- from both parties- all of these types of conversation threads. Interstingly the key difference about the F2F is that the mention of brag/comment/photo/anecdote one is actually just a conversation opener/continuation- waiting for an exchange and acknowledgement.

      My partner is of the same opinion as this author about Facebook while I'm completely in line with TheDoctorDonna. I think we will never agree. :) But- and I do think this is relevant - I have an extrovert personality type (and am a people pleaser - both positive and negative aspects of that) while is is a self assured, introverted personality type.

      So yeah, my big reveal? Um. It's not like that for everyone....mate.... hmmm.

      I've always struggles with being profound on Tuesdays.

      Delete
    2. Totally disagree. This article is spot on, I'm just thankful facebook has an "unsubscribe" option these days so you can mute those that are so accurately described in this article.

      Delete
  7. Then again, if you observe human conversations and interactions it won't take a genius to pick out the brag, the undercover brag, the “I’m In a Great Relationship” brag, those often random cryptic cliffhangers, the literal dimwits, the inexplicably-public private conversationalists, the out-of-nowhere Oscar acceptance speechmakers, those with incredibly obvious opinions and the ones sharing their insights toward enlightenment.

    I'm dying to know what the author's status updates look like... Probably falls in the category 'The UP Your Own Arse Goodie Two Shoes'... Yep, they walk among us... beware.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All very valid observations but then again what is it about these status updates that annoy you so much? Maybe a bit of perfectionism? Your way is the right way and if something doesn't fall into this category it's worth being put down and ridiculed? I wonder what your motivations for posting this are.. image crafting... wanting to sound clever and witty... those motivations are basic human motivations which in itself is very interesting. Live and let live though I say, we all share some of the same hidden motivations and needs that sometimes have made us all write stuff that is a bit self seeking or un-interesting in an update, which in my book just tells me we are all humans. Have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also you seem to be angry and a tad jealous about people going on holiday, having great relationships, achieving stuff and having fulfilling social lives. Maybe rather than trying to have people conform to what you think they should do you could spend less time on Facebook and blogging and spend more time to do stuff that you like to do with the people you love so when you read one of the "annoying" bragging facebook updates you can just smile and think of all the interesting stuff you've done and achieved in your real life and be happy that other people are happy about their lives also, maybe that they are a bit needy or looking for validation, but then again we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The point made in the article is not that people shouldn't be themselves and shouldn't enjoy Facebook, it's that people shouldn't be PROFOUNDLY annoying on Facebook. The areas of "insufferability" pointed out above aren't broad, but rather specific kinds of statuses that tend to be specific to Facebook culture.

    Traditional human "preening" and self-validation is not the topic at hand here...Facebook is normal human petty interactions on steroids. There's a basic courtesy expected in living human interactions, but from behind a computer screen, any semblance of reasonable social behavior can go out the window.

    You seem to be mostly protesting the article's inclusion of item 1A above ("The Brag"), and on that point I don't really disagree. Bragging at least goes back for centuries and while petty is at least honest. But things like the Cryptic Cliffhanger, the Literal Status Update, the Oscar Acceptance Speech, the Public-Private Message, and the Step Toward Enlightenment don't really exist in the real world. They're very specific strange ways people act when they're behind a computer screen, and at least on my Newsfeed, 10% of people commit 90% of the offenses. Those are the people who need to read this article :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Facebook status updates are not "offenses"...it's just a freakin' social media site.

      Delete
    2. ok, but if I decide to inform my friends things like "I'm going to the bathroom" or "I'm buying briefs", isn't that a little too much? doesn't it clog they system?

      You seem to be taking this awfully personally. Are you just being defensive because you don't like exposure of personal inadequacies?

      Delete
  11. There's a really simple solution, if human beings annoy you so much, get off the social media. I'm actually happy to hear about the personal triumphs of my friends. If you are not maybe the problem lies with you, not them. I *want* to hear about their achievements and see pictures of them on holiday. Sometimes people get a bit carried away but so what? They are your friends so learn to deal with it. If the problem is the number of "acquaintances" then don't add them in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny watching all the people who do all of the things in this article throw a fit in the comments because their feelings were hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh! The always hilarious Person-Using-Social-Media-To-Complain-About-How-Others-Use-Social-Media. Too bad Facebook doesn't have this thing where you could just not look at people's stuff...oh wait, it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I can block each friend individually, but don't people have an obligation to practice self control? Would you really tell these things to people in real life? BTW, I will masturbate at least twice before any response on your part.

      Delete
    2. Amazing rollergirl how you only got half the joke. You identify exactly what the joke is, then skipped over the ironic punchline. oh well.

      Delete
  14. For better or worse, when friends and I get together in person, we can ALL agree on certain people who have become just impossible to take. And we can all agree on people who make us bust a gut or think deeper thoughts. For instance, we can all agree that George Takei wins at Facebook!

    But please, do instagram next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES please. instagram!! all of this applies to a T

      Delete
  15. SPOT on. Just great.

    It's not like it's THAT bad to do these things on Facebook, but it's also not THAT bad to talk about yourself constantly at a party or THAT bad to tell stories about your Valentine's Day to that coworker you know is single because some sick part of you likes making them envy you. But let's not pretend that acting this way is GOOD either.

    Anyone who is angry after reading this article needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves why.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ≈ You like me! You really like me!

    I'm always interested in good orange juice, though, and I did want to know more about that banana.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so Facebook is actually supposed to be reddit, check.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this boils down to what we think the purpose of Facebook is. The author seems to think of it as a sterile, emotionless online environment full of people whose only wish is to serve his or her royal majesty. Talk about narcissism! We are human, and we live our lives primarily for ourselves (it's a survival thing). So it is only natural that our Facebook activities reflect at least some of that perceived selfishness. I agree that when taken to the extreme, the kinds of posts described can get a bit annoying. But the author isn't giving us any wiggle-room here. Let me give you an example: Lucy broke her wrist. She belongs to a couple of sporting clubs, goes to university and works part-time at a large organisation where she has many friends. She uses Facebook as a quick and easy way of telling her close friends, college friends, sporting friends, colleagues etc. that she'll be out of action for a few weeks:

    "Broke my wrist! 6 weeks in lockdown. Boo :("

    According to the author, this is attention seeking behaviour, with a little hint of horribly infectious loneliness.

    How else could she post this?

    "I have broken my wrist and will not be working, attending class, seeing my friends or playing sport for at least 6 weeks. Any comments or messages should be directed to my private inbox."

    That's beautiful - and I think, I hope that follows Rule #1 for Facebook posting (interesting/informative). Unfortunately, it's in violation of Rule #2 (funny/amusing/entertaining). I'm afraid Lucy isn't much of a jester!

    Let's say Lucy wants to spread some happiness. According to the author, quoting life truths is deemed image crafting, and of course, narcissism. So where else can she find happiness? How about within her own life? Brilliant! Why doesn't she spread some joy by sharing the little things that made her happy today? N-O, says the author. That would just be blatant - you guessed it - narcissism.

    As I said, it all comes down to what we want Facebook to be. If you want interesting and informative pieces of news, go to a current affairs website. If you want to be entertained, then YouTube away my friend! But if you want to stay in touch with people you know (regardless of the closeness of your relationship), then Facebook is great for that - but personally, I'd say that those who are only interested in knowing if you are engaged/alive aren't worth knowing at all. Let's not forget, Facebook is made up of humans, who live their own lives but at the same time have feelings and want to be social. Just like in real life. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Lucy's revised post that conforms to the author's standards had me laughing for a good bit. I agree with everything you've said!

      Delete
    2. Well said dude! (or dudette!)... We need more people like you in this world. Yes, even here in cyberspace. ;-) Rock on!

      Delete
  19. The Undercover Brag

    "On my walk home from work, I was whistled at twice, honked at twice, and one car almost caused an accident slowing down to stare at me. Sometimes I really hate men. "

    Most women aren't bragging about creepers making them feel uncomfortable for no reason other than the fact that they are female. If you're seeing stuff like this, it's because it genuinely upsets them. (And no, it's not a compliment and no they shouldn't learn to just accept it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I was really bothered that the author thinks that women speaking out against sexual harassment is really just an excuse for them to humblebrag about being attractive. Gross.

      Delete
  20. You know what this article is best for? Identifying all of the people who take themselves far too seriously. This is a clever and astute critique that articulates what most people I know are thinking. Sorry if you feel "called out."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ur doing it rong. Don't have 800 "friends" on Facebook. Edit! There is no need to friend everybody and their grandmother. I have nobody on there that I can't stand when they do any of the above, and as much as FB will let me I will try to spare at least some sections of my limited pool of friends when I am being annoying myself. Not that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Screw FB. It's annoying and I deactivated my account. Blather on people...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is cutting and hilarious and anyone hating on this should be rushed to the emergency room for a life-saving injection of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really, this is spot on. Anyone who claims to not get it, or is pissed off by the article either writes shit themselves on Facebook and just doesn't 'understand' that they are one of those people, or knows that they do and are embarrassed that someone has eloquently described their rubbish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Or, they read the first 10% of the article and then stopped and commented, saying "I LIKE WHEN GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO MY FRIENDS," without realizing that they completely missed the article's point.

      Delete
    2. Couldn't have put it better myself Neil Morrison..

      Delete
  25. Haha, that felt good to read! I totally agree with you. Granted, I don't leave many status updates, one reason being that the DO go to all "800" friends when I really only want those 10 or 20 to see it. Too bad FB doesn't have a setting for that... or do they and I missed it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Facebook is high school revisited. Or maybe the sandbox.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Agree. These are on a par with a pro-forma Christmas letter included with a Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was very comforting. Thanks. Now back to work, the lunch with great friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. And the definition of social media and point of Facebook would be, what again . . .?

    ReplyDelete
  30. at least i can still post that I am giving away ice cream sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These long glorious days of summer....watermelon raspberries blackberrie diving into the ocean off the boat frozen mango yogurt watching silly movies with my thirteen year old till 2:00am morning geese gulls otters ducks blue heron daughter's sparkling glitter toenails teenage drama soccer son's marathon sleepovers with friends Don's famous barbecue salmon dinners flower garden on the bow of the boat starlight moonrises shoting stars tree frogs cricket song morning runs up the mountain falling asleep to the gentle rocking of waves on the hull......

    (Now don't you feel crappy about YOUR life? GOOD!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This gives me a great idea for a drinking game:

    Assign each of these 7 offenses to party attendees, and then they can only speak in that manner or they have to drink.

    I think it would be hilarious trying to craft my words as literal status updates ;) but I think I would have way more fun with the cryptic cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Facebook also actually offers you the option to hide news and statuses from people you don't care about. Make use of it! I tend to think, that people who don't want to know anything about my life or don't want to read my posts will have made use of that option already. So I'm not annoying anyone who doesn't want to read my statuses, but only scribbling down what's going on in my mind to people who give a fuck. So there's a theory of mind that the author obviously didn't take into consideration, which would modify the interpretation of the core motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i don't think you understand facebook at all. fb isn't reddit. it isn't supposed to be about providing interesting and witty reading for other people. fb's intended purpose is to do all of those things you've listed - it's about the poster, not the postees.

    i highly recommend you do what many of us did long ago - quit. and perhaps practice what you preach and make your own writing more interesting and witty for your readers - after all, it's not all about you. a curated community like the one you think fb should be would not accept all this whiny sarcasm...or approve of using the full names in the "daniel's" post you've quoted.

    ps: you don't have to be "friends" with people whose updates bore you. i don't understand why people don't get this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with maybe 25% of this article (>inb4 it's a comedic piece). When someone posts something along the lines of "I finally got accepted into med school!" or "Finished my last exam!" that isn't particularly bragging; it could be a sign of relief. Also if they are your friends who are posting these types of statuses then you shouldn't get jealous you should be happy for them.

    On the other side, I completely hate the "ugh i hate my life..." statuses, or the vague fb posts. It's so painfully obvious that they want attention.

    A simple solution: block all of their posts from showing up on your news feed (don't have to necessarily unfriend them).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved it all.
    Except, well, that example about the girl being honked and whistled at. I thought at first the author was a woman -for some obscure reason- but after reading that part I was sure it couldn't be. Being honked at on the street is nothing to brag about, being harassed doesn't mean you're very attractive, you get the honking even when you're 13 and ugly...just because you're a girl on the street. A guy who honks at a girl certainly doesn't have high standards, and the whole thing, I can assure you, doesn't come out as a compliment. It's pretty embarassing and humiliating.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's a way of vaguely knowing how my friends feel without having to fucking call them. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. To the author: If you practically believe that all Facebook statuses are "narcissistic", then delete your account because Facebook was not meant for people like you.
    You cannot judge that the motive behind all statuses is narcissism and vanity. Out of the 800+ friends on my FB (Which I actually know and have met in real life (No I am not bragging...SEE I CAUGHT YOU.)) about 5, are actually narcissists and post just to cultivate an image of themselves. So when I see friends posting "I'm going to Italy to study abroad for 3 months!" I take into consideration of the person behind the post...which happens to be a truly humble, optimistic, friendly person - who is HAPPY to be traveling to Italy. I could become one of two things 1) Jealous or 2) Happy. I choose to be happy for that friend. At the same time I am informed and enlightened after reading the exciting post.
    To me, it seems as if YOU are a very jealous and judgmental person. I am sorry that Facebook brings you so much strife and pain. I wonder what your statuses look like. Many people post to document, express their feelings etc. I'm sorry that you are so bothered and annoyed by certain, should I say MOST statues. Maybe we should follow your guidelines to better posting as to not offend you. I think you should just focus on YOU and stop judging other people and believing they are all out to promote and worship themselves. I bet you think having a profile pic is NARCISSISTIC. Do you have a profile picture? What AM I asking??!!... you probably don't because you fear others might find you...vain.


    ReplyDelete
  39. I really like that guys status. It made me smile. I got about 10% of the way through your bitching and moaning before I was thoroughly bored. I only receive status updates on facebook from people I know, so I like hearing their happy news. Sounds to me like you are a selfish prick who thinks his friends soul purpose in life is to entertain YOU

    ReplyDelete
  40. I thought the points in this article were totally spot on, and from looking at the comments, what I see is people saying "I LIKE WHEN GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO MY FRIENDS!"

    Did you read the article? The whole point is that EVERYONE likes when good things happen to their friends.

    The article labels 7 particular kinds of Facebook posts which are "insufferable." Only one of them is bragging (which is what comment protesters are about) and that one isn't saying that incessant bragging will be annoying to your good friends, it's saying it'll be annoying to the other "96-99%" of your Facebook friends.

    Anyone who is that angry about this article didn't read more than 10% of the article. Kudos to the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yeah think this was massively over-egged and self-indulgent (and narcissistic). Could have summed this up in a couple of paragraphs.

    But anyway, surely by FAR the worst must be the moronic 'share' status. The incessant "1 share = 1 dollar donated to [child dying of cancer/worthwhile cause/charity etc]" kind of bollocks that everyone seems to believe. Nonsense generated by corporations to sell facebook stock in likes for corporations. I find that people actually believing it and re-posting as a self-righteous do-gooding pander to karma more irritating than the appalling faceless corporate bastards behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dang, people have some stroooooong feelings about this subject! Have to say, I do a couple of these--quotes, bragging... but overall this made me laugh my ass off. I have started unfollowing people who post pictures of their meals or their morning coffee. Too much.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is SO STUPID. Most of the stuff this guy was talking about, I DO NOT find annoying, and ACTUALLY ENJOY. It is people who write epically long papers about why annoying FB posts are annoying that makes the majority of us feel annoyed at them. I LIKE knowing that some of my FB friends had a great weekend with some other people, or that they are thinking of something big going on in the world, or that they are feeling particularly grateful for the people and things that surround us; It makes me smile.
    Most of (I would hope) find these things cheering, even if they give us only the knowledge that our friend, this living person on the other side of the screen, is still alive, and feeling the need to connect, feel, or in anyway be human.
    "that's why insufferable Facebook behavior will never go away—there’s no dislike button or eye-roll button or middle finger button on Facebook" BECAUSE FB IS SUPPOSED TO BE A POSITIVE PLACE TO CONNECT WITH YOUR PEOPLE, WHETHER THEY LIVE NEAR OR FAR, AND REMEMBER THAT WE ARE ALL HUMAN.
    And if we have to write cryptically to get the connection we need, then so be it.
    The only thing I can find to take positively from this article, is a lesson on how to be a better human; Assume best intent. Remember that we are ALL human. Remember that No Matter how stupid, or annoying, or attention craving a post may be, it is there for a reason, and A PERSON put it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. '..there’s no dislike button or eye-roll button or middle finger button on Facebook..' = THAT IS GOLD!!!

      Delete
  44. "Thinking a status update is supposed to be an actual status update"

    It is. If you think otherwise, you're using it wrong. The site that you're looking for is MySpace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, commented before I got to the end.

      "it’s bad form to be too much of a dick in the comments below a status."

      It's not, really. In fact, I've pruned a lot of people that didn't really need to be friended to me by being honest about their stupidity. If you're not asking to be told you're wrong, don't broadcast your stupidity publicly. Update your status with everything else, sure.

      Delete
  45. Did anyone else find it ironic that this person decided to denounce Facebook narcissism, which they define as the idea that "the author's thoughts, opinions, and life philosophies matter", on their personal blog? And if posting a status update that's about yourself is narcissistic, what exactly is expecting that other people's status updates be designed either you inform you with brilliant and original insights or make you laugh? You know, because other people's Facebook posts are really just about you...

    ReplyDelete
  46. My thoughts on this were a bit too long for a comment box so I wrote a blog post in response. In short, no. http://stephanieearlygreen.com/facebook-etiquette/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Such a supercilious post! I've seen your type of criticism applied to any innocent activity that gives people some happiness. Grow up. If you don't like people expressing themselves on Facebook, stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've identified what you didn't: fret-gloating. People who fret about awesome decisions that take them away from their already awesome lives. The fret-gloat is only complete when the decision turns out to be even more awesome than expected by the friend, even though their friends understood it would. For instance, a friend who lives on a flower farm with white horses fretting over the decision to move to a tropical island for a year later posts about her engagement to an islander and their stellar house and life. Fret-gloating. I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. To all who are ripping the author and the article:

    I think it's a very well written and funny article that does point out many obvious reason people post on Facebook.

    Of course most posts are narcissistic, but that's human nature. Of course that's what people do on social media is talk about themselves; what else is there to do on social media? If you don't like it, go away.

    You don't have to agree with everything in the article. Even I don't agree with a couple things, but the article is still on-point with the majority of people's FB posts, and points this out in a very detailed and humorous manner.

    For example, I don't agree with some parts of "the brag" like when people post pictures (vacation, kids, etc), because some of their their friends and co-workers might enjoy seeing these pictures and updates. I wouldn't consider this gloating, selfish, or narcissistic; just merely keeping people in the loop. If you think about it, it's not much different than someone bringing in physical pictures of their vacation or kids in a physical environment and showing everybody. Nobody is forcing you to look at the pictures. Nobody is forcing you to respond or like.

    I almost think the only reason you might be mad after reading this article is maybe because you feel bad for posting for these reasons for all these years.

    I totally agree with "cliffhanger" and "banana" examples. They're annoying. But again, it's human nature. People act like this in real life. This article isn't telling anybody to change.

    I myself am occasionally guilty of these posts, but I'm okay with it. I like to think I'm over it. I post pics maybe cause I think they're funny, maybe cause I'm bored, or maybe I know 1-2 people will get a good laugh out of a post. This doesn't mean I'm gloating, bragging, or trying to show off. I'll admit, sometimes I feel bad because I wonder if people might get jealous because of my posts; but that thinking alone is narcissistic and I feel like I'm just getting in my own head. I mean, it's just not that serious. If you're on FB, you post, you share, you read. People who don't enjoy it will do something else. It is what it is.

    I appreciate the article, and the time and effort put into it. It's right on. For someone to organize people's reasons for posting, and getting it into words; that's awesome.

    What I find somewhat fascinating, is that when FB first came out, it was more/less a big free-for-all, with no norms. Today, there are social-networking norms that most people adhere to. For example, I think a couple examples the author may have forgotten are people who go on political or religious rants, and others who want to market and capitalize on FB. I think these users are just uninformed, and don't realize there's other platforms to communicate these views on. Also, FB can be a good marketing tool if used appropriately, and people will seek out information. It's evolving. People will seek it or drop it.

    If people don't want to see other people's babies they could get the baby.me app that turns babies into other cool pictures. If people don't want to see people's posts, they have the option to block, unfriend, or simply not log on.

    Yes, Facebook does make some people happy, but actually the latest research has shown that FB does the exact opposite, because you look at posts, and it makes you sad because people think about how their life lacks what the other FB users are posting/sharing, which makes them rethink their lives.

    That still doesn't make this a bad article, just because it points out some obvious things people do on social media and makes people angry. I enjoyed the read. Don't agree with all of it Some examples are right on. I thought it was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so now there's rules to this? lol. It's FB. Get on , say whatever you want to say to your circle of friends and aquaintances...if they like it, they can hit the button for that or they can keep on scrolling.

      Delete
  50. The important thing people are overlooking here is......IT'S FACEBOOK. Who cares?????

    ReplyDelete
  51. Funny article. Shared on facebook by those falling into the 'prick' category.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I mostly find this article insufferable. There are some good points, but mostly my impression is, why should I craft my Facebook page for you? My goal isn't to get the most likes for my status. I'm just doing my thing, Guy. Get your fascist Facebook judgments off of me.

    ReplyDelete
  53. THERE IS SO MUCH BUTTHURT IN THESE COMMENTS

    If you think this is a bad article, please go kill yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  54. ugh self-righteous social media users are the worst. get off your pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I have never- not even once- posted a comment on a blog. ever. and I just have to say how brilliant and hilarious this article is. pure and utter genius. those of you with all of the negativity: first, slap yourself in the face. second, go delete that status update that tells us what you cooked for dinner, what glass of wine you have in your hand, how many calories you burned today, and how blessed you are. #noonecares

    ReplyDelete
  56. i don't get annoyed by social media, i don't know, i think i see it as something so trivial that no facebook/twitter status would be annoying enough for me. i guess tags / mentions can be annoying, but facebook statuses are the user's right, he/she can say whatever he/she wants really

    ReplyDelete
  57. While initally amused at this article, I ended up asking, but,,why? Why these rules so that you dont get annoyed? Why create and spread this type of unacceptance. for by publishing it for those to read you have created an intolerance 'disease' - anyone who has read it will now identify those all things you have higlighted and join in your annoyance where they may not have before.
    YOU ARE SPREADING INTOLERANCE, which ultimately leads to division and hatred. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  58. This is pretty amusing, and I agree with the irritation over a lot of these "types" of status updates. Especially the posts that, in reality, a person's mom wouldn't even care about (ie, "going grocery shopping" or "on my lunch break"). But there is a bit of a contradiction between what is being said in the "enlightenment" section and the bragging section--why not post about something you've accomplished? Because that would apparently also be annoying, right? I personally don't mind seeing people post their accomplishments--getting into med school, having a child, completing a marathon--because they ARE accomplishments, major feats in life, major milestones, moments of joy. They're at least POSITIVE. Anything that distracts people or prevents them from whining/pointless updates seems like it's a good thing.
    Also, here's a thought: don't have 800 friends, 500 of which don't give a shit about your accomplishments because they barely know you anyway. Why can't the people we're "friends" with also coincide with the people that actually care about us?

    ReplyDelete
  59. *sigh*

    Although I agree that some FB updates really take the piss - especially about humblebragging and self promo - it isn't all about YOU (and that goes for the commenters that are 'defending' the writer also).

    The real problem is having 800 odd people who don't care if you drop off the planet. You're using Facebook as Twitter or as others have said Reddit...it's not supposed to be a place for meeting random acquaintances you've never met - this is why it asks you 'Have you met this person?' when you add them?

    It's supposed to be for close friends, family, people you know well. Yes you CAN use it for everyone including the guy down the coffee shop and the weird stalkerish person and the person you kind of fancy from Timbuktoo, but then don't kvetch about depersonalisation, alienation, pointless updates and not being engaged. Reduce that friends list down to people you give a fuck about, and hey! Problem solved...ie. stop looking to others to solve your own issue with your Facebook group, and posting another Google/sharebait "Why Social Media Sucks!' list.

    This is exactly the same post as back in the day people blogged about how Livejournal, Blogger etc. sucked - same issues, same problems, different labels. They also told people to be 'entertaining' and stop posting in their journals like they were a diary (like the 'using a status update like a status update' - that's what they were intended for!) and quite rightly people told them to go fuck off, it's their space and they will do with it what they will, either read it or GTFO. Same applies here. *shrug*

    Oh and those who accuse others of doing same, I'm sure you can find me online, you'll notice I do very few of these things, but I'm sure you can find something 'narcissistic' if you look hard enough...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  60. If you are annoyed by narcissicm to any degree then why are you on facebook yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  61. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  62. The only thing that bugs me about this is the sad truth that most people care more about whether someone is engaged than whether they are doing well at work. Why shouldn't one's friends care about another's day to day life?

    I couldn't care less when someone "commits" to yet another future divorce, but I think it's rad when my friends kick ass at work. Most relationships fail, but career is forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the real world, where - surprise surprise! - careers also fail. Look up the words "redundancy" and "retrenchment", for starters...

      Delete
    2. ... then move on to "Global Financial Crisis". ;-)

      Delete
  63. Things that probably already have been said in the comments, but the narcissist in me can't help giving my opinion. So here it is:

    Isn't FB about sharing your life with your friends and relatives?
    I don't have 800 facebook "friends", rather 100. Knowing that they are happy makes me happy, not jealous.
    Not all of them are close, but I bet that more than 5% of them care about me. And if FB algorithms are working as expected, those who don't care about me will likely not see my status updates as often as those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Your analysis is conditional. If I am truly, truly friends with the poster, then I want to know all about his/her life. Those that are close to me: please post everything.

    On the other hand, those that are not, please don't post that stuff--or just a little of it.

    To me, annoying are things that are made up--urban legends--and offensive language

    ReplyDelete
  65. HAH! It's funny, because it's so spot-on true. I'm going to immediately tell everyone about this article, and then get some lunch, tell them all about it, then take a nap, wake up and describe the dream I had, then spend an entire afternoon combing the online world for banality which I will point out ON PURPOSE to people who could not, in a trillion years, care any less about it. Ah yes, that's the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Amusing post. I think it's important to do a yearly recycle of your facebook 'friends'. I like to keep around 30 friends in total. Made up of real friends and family.
    Using this list of annoying status posts would be a good way to sack people.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Posting Proverbs 3:5-6 may be image crafting, but it's the complete opposite of narcissism. Trusting in God rather than yourself... poor choice as an example by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  68. For the most part a pretty comprehensive and funny list.

    A few comments on some of the 7 points:

    1c) Depends on the relationship. Sometimes one feels obligated to do this from time to time depending on how emotionally needy one's partner is.

    4) Parents and social media newbies seem most susceptible to this. I chalk it up to naïveté --i.e. not knowing how to "do" FB--more than narcissism.

    5) Does this include the blanket "thank you" post most of us feel somewhat obligated to make the day after receiving a ton of birthday wishes? If so this is more laziness and/or a sense of obligatory politeness than it is narcissism.

    7) Totally. Bugs the shit out of me. Canned quotes from the Dalai Lama or are the dryer lint of the internet.

    Personally I like seeing my friends' pix so I guess that makes me lame and boring. But it sure beats having them upload to Snapfish or some other "service" where I'm going to have to create yet another goddamned account.

    800 friends? NOBODY has 800 TRUE friends. Not even the Dalai Lama. If you have 800 "friends" you have bigger problems than the 7 points on this list. OTOH the assertion that nobody has more than 15-30 people at most who love them is a pretty dark and pessimistic view of life. While it's highly unlikely anyone would have hundreds of people who truly "love" them it really depends on the size of your family, the size and quality of your community, and the number of years you've spent building them.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Yeah, this is why I don't make facebook statuses anymore; for fear of being judged just like this.
    Why do other people's facebook statuses have to please YOU? Let people share what they want, it's not their fault you find them annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Oh boo hoo, it must be so hard to scroll past and ignore someone else's facebook status that is slightly displeasing to you.
    Why do you have to be so judgemental? Why does it actually matter if other people want attention? Because it's annoying to you? Well you're annoying me.

    ReplyDelete
  71. I have a different view on all of this just the way how Facebook organizes information. I don't post for anyone other than me - I use Facebook as that one point where all the crap I go through gets collected so I can check it some later time. I post a lot of articles etc, but I actually haven't read any of them since I'll get to that when I have more time.

    Now when it comes to status messages and photos - FB has a great way (especially when you tag the photo locations) or mapping all those little photos and status messages to a certain location on the map ("Places"). Now, when one tries to live a pretty adventurous life (living in another country etc), you tend to gather a lot of these tidbits of photos, status messages and whatnot. So over the years, you tend to build a pretty detailed picture of your timescale.

    Now, obviously stuff gets forgotten by whoever uses Facebook - even stuff from 2 years ago is almost ancient history, especially if you experience a lot. Back home, I have big wall in one room that has a massive world map tapestry in it, printing one with the the size and detail required wasn't a small task. On this tapestry, I transfer the key things out of whatever location I've visited or experienced and it's all based on whatever pictures etc I post in facebook.

    I don't use Facebook to brag or compare lives or any of that crap - everyone needs to find their own happiness. I use Facebook to build that wall so we have a visual timeline in our house for our family, especially our daughter since she probably doesn't remember any of this stuff when she grows older.

    So especially that all encompassing "What a wonderful year this was" -post... I do that every year, have done ever since Facebook was launched. It just helps me sum up the year and what was special about it, so when we do the wall updating (The real wall!), this is the first point of contact to go to.

    Obviously, what's written in the article is only the writer's point of view - but to me it feels a bit glass-half-empty -thinking that if people describe their life via FB and it seems very adventurous or exciting, that those people are automatically some kind of major assholes. In that case, maybe a break from FB might be in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  73. I have a hard time taking seriously the criticisms of a writer who goes into great detail about how selfish and vain others' Facebook posts are, when his core reasoning for criticizing these statuses is "the things you say on your OWN facebook should be more beneficial to ME ME ME than to yourself." That's actually pretty self-centered and bitter in its own right. Other people's success makes me happy for them, not angry. And if they're post-bragging to benefit themselves, then it's sad that all the wonderful things in their life aren't uplifting on their own, and I hope they learn to get past that.

    For those people whose posts DO frequently bother me, I either hide their posts or--if it's especially terrible--unfriend them. I don't passive-aggressively quote their post and tear it apart ad nauseum like a bitter high school cheerleader.

    Then again, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. If they post something about having their promotion or passing the boards for example, I feel happy for them and I don't fake congratulate them. If it makes you feel jealous then maybe something is wrong with you. And also, people who brags indefinitely in facebook and are annoying tends to be annoying in person too, so why befriend them?
      Delete them on your account!

      Delete
  74. I would like to apologize for everyone's behavior. It was a funny article, and some people just need to lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  75. There may be something else at work here. I sometimes feel that many people, faced with many choices, pick one communication tool and use it for everything. There's a lot of stuff that shouldn't go out by Facebook, but then there's a lot of stuff that shouldn't go out by email, or one's blog, or whatever.

    That said, this article is probably why I hardly ever do anything on Facebook. FB seems to be composed primarily of stuff that no one cares about, except for those who would already know. If there's something about my life that comparative strangers would really want to know, it's probably on the news, told better than I could tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Anybody who spends this much effort being bothered by some innocuous posts on social media really needs to rethink their priorities, perhaps visit a therapist to get rid of that nagging sense of self-loathing and insecurity. Yeah I don't care if it's supposed to be funny, but look at this poor guy, he puts so much thought into it, it's clearly true for him on some level.

    ReplyDelete
  77. I'm going to re-post this so that my friends think I'm smart and knowledgable. Wait... isn't being smart and knowledgable really the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  78. This article is complete GENIUS! I wish I wrote it because it perfectly explains exactly what I find so objectionable about so many FB posts. And obviously the people who are commenting that they hate this post are seeing a liiiittttle too much of themselves here. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Love the article. Afraid sharing it might constitute image crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  80. I'm confused now...I am still special...right?

    ReplyDelete
  81. What about random song lyrics posts? Would those be in the "The Step Toward Enlightenment" category? Its definitely narcissistic, because Daniel thinks his taste in music, or art, is more profound, and he can see the "deeper" meaning of the lyrics that no one else can. Personally, those posts annoy me the most.

    PS. This is an amazing article. Loved every bit of it, and I think we share the same opinion of the topic. And I might have found myself in some of those categories... oops.

    ReplyDelete
  82. I will now be sharing my opinion of cake and the weird smelling lockers at the gym more often, perhaps directly to your FB page, so I can continue to feed your twice weekly "cry for attention" "Look how clever and sarcastic I am! LOOOOOK!" blogging habit.
    Also, good luck in N Korea. Thanks for posting the announcement of that super awesome trip that we can't wait to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Was a good until last point which could arguably be part of region C and put you in category 8

    8) Negative dick head

    ReplyDelete
  84. interesting article. great point that people sometimes seem to have less and less awareness of the relevance of their postings to their audience...unfortunately there seems to be a trend now also of facebook like behavior spreading to other forms of communication (mass texts sharing pictures of cute things or asking for opinions about trivial things like what color socks to buy, or emails with no subject and no text, only containing a link to an article) How ironic that with the advent of so many social media tools that people's ability to communicate seems to be degenerating...

    ReplyDelete
  85. apparently, many people are not aware that they can categorize their Facebook friends as how they can categorize their friends and acquaintance. *rolls eyes*

    rule of categorizing:
    1. make sure your boss and parents are separate category from your friends
    2. make sure you can make the right people suffer from your posts
    3. make sure your working mate cannot see your blunders

    image crafting is important for career.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Holy shit! Does anyone actually read all this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. working my way through it. the article is hilarious.

      Delete
  87. lol, this is excellent!

    talking to God or dead people falls into #4?

    I find soooo annoying people saying happy birthday or hi to dead relatives/friends.

    WHYYYYY!!??? like they had FB...

    ReplyDelete
  88. Stop using FB. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  89. The only status updates I post are contests.

    And usually only visible to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Ironic the article is unfinishable. I'm totally with the dude on the first 'horrendous' post. Good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  91. I thought this was great. The author left out a very special kind of annoying status update that I believe falls into category #6: the "RIP (insert name of celebrity who just died)"

    ReplyDelete
  92. The thing you read over and over that made you rage? It wasn't for you! It was for the people named in the post! It was to tell his girl he loved her and his friends he had a great time with them that year. That's a post that you post to be like "hey friends, I care about you and value your time!" so of course some random chucklefuck who isn't invested in your personal life at all since you're a stranger wouldn't give a shit.

    But let's tear this bullshit down further..

    1, the brag: you use another example wherein the posters friends are tagged. As I said above, the post is for them as a group - they're sharing a memorable moment, and even if it is "braggy" who doesn't like seeing that their friends are having a good time? Jerks. That's who. OP is a jerk. 1b, one of the examples used is going on a trip and asking if anyone knows someone who wants to rent their place while they're gone. That is a legitimate request. Chances are, this persons friends already know their friend has this place, so it's not bragging to say it exists for rent. It's also safe to assume that friends are already aware of the trips their buddy takes if they are taken often enough. 1c, ok, that does get irritating, but everyone is that irritating when they've just been bitten by the love bug, irl and online. Maybe you're incapable of love or friendship? That would explain this post.

    I'll agree that 2, the cliffhanger, is just the op begging for attention, and that it's annoying, but the kind of people that post those are doing it on purpose as a call for help. Usually when someone posts things like that, they mean "I need comfort, please send kind words" and a real friend would understand that, take the bait and ask what happened, and offer a shoulder to cry on or services as an assassin.

    3, literal statuses, can be for two things: 1, sharing with friends who, one can assume by virtue of their friendship, give a shit about your life, and 2, letting them know where you are. 2 is important here since it can serve both as an invitation to meet up if you'll be nearby, or as a warning that you'll be busy so contacting you during that period will probably fail. Friend stuff. Sure, it's not important to know the whereabouts of some stranger, but as I said, these posts are for FRIENDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4, public private messages. Ok, some of these are annoying as balls. The first example kind where the post is obviously targeted toward one person in particular are irritating and I make it a point to troll those posts, but posts about enjoying time with your kids/friends? It's safe to assume your friends care that you're having fun with friends/family. Also, injokes... INJOKES ARE FOR FRIENDS YOU LONELY FUCKTRUMPET.

      5, the thank you speech, is.... do I even need to say it? They're thanking their FRIENDS for being proper friends. And they're not "out of nowhere" at all. Generally these sorts of posts come after some sort of ordeal or epiphany that warranted them.

      6, obvious opinions. It's your wall, post your opinions. That's what it's there for. And not all opinions are obvious. 7, quotes and ponderings, like #6, are opinions but some of them are ones other people said that you agree with.

      "he sliced through my soul, accomplishing nearly every terrible status type and motivation discussed above. The thing is, though, that if you looked right below his post, all you saw were likes and a couple friendly comments."

      Gasp and alarm! Dan's friends and family care about his life! Who would have thought! Humans... -like- when good things happen to people they like!

      There's a really simple way to avoid the posts you hate. Stop reading strangers facebook posts. Stick to the one or two people in your monkeysphere that you actually can muster fucks to give about.

      Plus you missed the obvious fuckawful post types: people who cycle the same 3-4 posts over and over, people who share a million images of text with bullshit hipster quotes, and people who play Zynga games.

      Delete
  93. I'm sad this didn't mention those status updates that friends post that basically say "There's no way your life could suck more than mine. PITY ME NOW!!"

    ReplyDelete
  94. From Facebook's Login page:

    "Facebook helps you CONNECT and SHARE with the people in your life." (emphasis: mine)

    It's interesting how people who hate/disagree with the article are automatically called out as narcissists, and the poster is immediately labeled bitter and selfish (though I admit that I have a hard time seeing the "joke" part in the tone of his writing, especially after reading his own comment on the post). I think we have all fallen to our own form of narcissism by forgetting that Facebook was made for EVERYONE to "connect and share" (not inappropriate or spam content, of course) and thinking that we have the right to tell others what they can and cannot share and with whom (again, barring the inappropriate or spam). It's narcissistic to push our individual opinions of what is and isn't annoying on everyone else. We're all annoyed by different things. Yes, people can be annoying on Facebook. I'd rather someone be annoying in a place where I can ignore them rather than face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete
  95. This entire article is based on the assumption that your friends on facebook are no actual friends but mere acquaintances. Maybe only allow people to see your posts that are involved in your life and refer all the others to your linkedin account.
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  96. Very interesting analysis in that article !

    However, having a social existence always require image crafting and attention craving. And lets be honest, you often need a bit of narcissism and jealousy inducing to attract people attention.

    But you're entirely true. It's all about having the good public, as you should be doing those things for the right people, the one surrounding and caring. Certainly not your 800 friends.

    Thanks for the funny reading. See, that was from a good "Region B" Facebook post .. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  97. There's a lot being said in the article and in the comments. So of course I want to share an opinion as well :) I think the reasons listed in the article and everything else in article, and in the comments, is why Facebook exists. There's no "right" way to use Facebook and well we get what we get. If you actually know the people who you're friends with on Facebook, are you really all that surprised by what they're posting?

    ReplyDelete
  98. All photos are insufferable? This is the point where I stopped reading this article, and started seeing this author as someone who should delete his or her profile.

    ReplyDelete
  99. The author breaks it down and tells it like it is...thank you for making me realize humans aren't perfectly informative or funny all the time because being interesting all the time is what makes life interesting right?

    ReplyDelete
  100. I feel like hundreds of people missed the point of the article and overreacted. I knew the point of this before I even got to:

    "The bigger point here is that the qualities of annoying statuses are normal human qualities—everyone needs to brag to someone here and there, everyone has moments of weakness when they need attention or feel lonely, and everyone has some downright ugly qualities that are gonna come out at one time or another."

    Relax. Laugh a little.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Its funny but whatever one comments on your article can also be interpreted as someone trying to be wise/funny/self important etc etc.:), but I really loved this article, it expresses most of what I feel about fb. one thing I was thinking of was, when you mention the wisdom quote point, that people think they are making some amazingly wise point, it really really annoys me when they copy paste someone else s spoken or written words as their own and never bother to reference it. really really annoys me. one-we didn't need to know your personal favorite quote/words every single day and even if you do subject us to it, please atleast do the courtesy of quoting the source, you have other people liking your status as if it were born out of your own 'creative' mind!not done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  102. Facebook is the way to open ours thoughts about what are some of the daily things we do ,want to do ,think about ,and also is the space where people can ask each other to be friend .Facebook is the part of our life ,it keeps us in touch with our friends ,by seeing what they do or plan to do .

    ReplyDelete
  103. I think the author of this blog post did a brilliant job codifying just about everything that has driven me from Facebook. What a huge pile of narcissistic, egomaniacal, boring wank the whole thing is...

    ReplyDelete
  104. "Secondly—you know what inspires people? You achieving something incredible and letting it be an example and inspiration to others."

    But don't post about it-- that's narcissistic!

    The author has confused Facebook with LinkedIn or the New York Times perhaps. Facebook is an online school hallway or workplace water cooler. Everything this ass complains about is EXACTLY what Facebook is for.

    Don't like it? Then stop friending people you don't give a fuck about, idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  105. I may agree with you, but isn't the above what Facebook is truly all about?

    ReplyDelete
  106. Somehow I just recall one weibo posted by Wang Xiaochuan Monday, CEO of Sougou, which was really ambiguous, yet got hundreds "Like". What really matters is who you are or who is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  107. The most ironic thing about this post? People are posting it on Facebook. So the butthurt author is getting attention through the social media outlet he/she claims to hate. Bless their heart.

    ReplyDelete
  108. Lots of people seem a bit, uh, butt-hurt by this. It's like they've been called out on participating in the whole ridiculous Facebook affair and the 90% of it that is essentially about acting like you're in Middle School. Which is kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  109. Funny, because it's all true.

    But at the same time, it can say a lot about the "receiving end" of the behavior described.

    [brag?]I myself am usually happy when someone on my FB (all of whom I know in person) says they finished their thesis, or their child did something cute, or they are going on a cool trip, or whatever.[/brag]

    Are you annoyed because one of your friends is doing well or is happy? Hm, interesting...

    OK, they might be faking the happiness, image crafting or whatnot. Well, their problem. If they tell me their life is awesome, I will believe them, think "good for you", and go on with my life.

    The inspirational ones are a bit annoying to me, so I just ignore them -- unless they are ironical/parody/sarcastic/all of the above. After two or three words one already knows to skip, right? (which might make you unjustly skip a parody one, but one usually knows which friends will commit each, so that's all good)

    ReplyDelete
  110. This article is amazing! Hilarious AND truthful. All of you people who disagree with it are probably guilty of at least 6 of these 7 offenses.

    ReplyDelete
  111. Okay.
    A: This post is a HUGE Number 7. Yes, the sun IS bright! The target audience knows it, and only the dull-blades among them will be thankful to the author for pointing it out.
    B: That opening "email from a friend" is a GIGANTIC Number 1B. Okay, so you're young and happening and you live in New York and your pals are pals with pals who hang with Owen Wilson and go to $600-a-plate Democratic fundraisers.
    C: So yeah, this post is a hideous example of most of the shit for which the author is feigning worldly contempt.
    Thanks for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  112. I managed to get through this article despite the salty language.

    Most of the things you dislike about your friends' posts are the very things that I want to know.

    This paragraph says it all: (quote) > "People who don’t love you don’t care about you or your day or your life that much, they’re probably not especially rooting for you, and they certainly want nothing to do with your worst qualities. And you doing something purely to serve your emotional or egotistical needs really should not show up on their computer screen—it just shouldn’t." (end quote)

    If you don't love someone and don't care about him, then why did you become his "friend"? When I submit a friend request to someone, it is precisely because I do care about that person, and I am interested in what she is doing and thinking about. And I expect that anyone who sends me a friend request feels that way about me.

    ReplyDelete
  113. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  114. Infrequent infractions of these rules and ambiguous motives/intentions are more easily forgiven if such Facebook users spend more than 50% of their time of Facebook giving likes and comments to the best posts.

    ReplyDelete
  115. it's an opinion piece and totally subjective. everyone stop crying and stop taking social media so seriously. IT'S NOT REAL LIFE. that's why it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  116. made me ponder.... Are all of our actions motivated by our selfish nature?

    ReplyDelete
  117. OMG, that was hilarious. I laughed out loud! Ok, that was image crafting.. I didn't laugh at all... but I did inwardly. I'm a happy person...

    ReplyDelete
  118. i like it. especially the idea of an roll button or f you button.

    although callus and negative i could see some positive strokes to guide those who dont know.

    But i id enjoy the fact that i am one of those doing all 7 in my total relationship with FB.

    I have stepped away from FB for a time and it was the best thing ever. my life got better LOL.

    the greatest part of this article the comment on human nature and a sign of our desperate

    culture which is socializing narcissistic behavior as normal. Cultivating great content and

    should be some good rules on how to for those need it.

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  119. Well maybe Facebook is about the author and not the reader - have you thought about that?

    ReplyDelete
  120. You missed out one of the biggest - checking in at international airports. Why oh why would anyone do that! (why would anyone check in anywhere???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can stalk them in case they are hot chicks. I like those check ins.

      Delete
    2. Good thinking. Where's the Like button? :)

      Delete
  121. Just to be clear, the only acceptable (or not 'insufferable') Facebook post is one that serves YOU, amuses YOU or educates YOU?

    Well if that 'aint narcissistic, I don't know what is.

    For me, an insufferable Facebook post is one that links to a negative and ignorant blog post like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said the opposite of that. He said that's what NOT to do. Have a look at it again.

      Delete
  122. I totally agree with the author.
    I don't post all that crap, ever! I use facebook to post a few pics of me and chat up chicks (using the messenger) so I can shag them. There you go, this is the truth plain and simple, and I bet a lot do exactly the same.
    I don't even read people's status, I only look for hot bikini pictures and location updates so I know where I can go "randomly" meet them.
    If I want to share with my family I upload albums on picasa.

    ReplyDelete
  123. Fantastic article, I think that he's dipped into most of the selfish type attributes that Facebook users bring about on the website - these come typically from a selfish human gene that we all carry. Some of of us treat this gene lightly and others banish the thought of it completely. Personally I think this article is a good code to follow for people to start realising that life should be more about living ones life for others, and putting others first, caring and asking how their day was and how their life is going rather than blatantly over advertising our own ego's and trying to drill perceptions into other peoples heads that mean nothing to anyone else other than themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  124. Best way never to offend anyone--never post anything.

    ReplyDelete
  125. The biggest puzzle here is the fact that people can actually contrive to be annoyed by a social website in which have the choice of participating. Clearly everyone is annoyed at themselves for being doofus enough to waste their lives online.
    If using Facebook for its intended purpose annoys you, then stop using it.

    ReplyDelete
  126. Just so all you new mothers know, nobody but you and your mother give a flying fuck about your baby. It's in the green zone. We don't need to be bombarded with pictures of your childs first shit, first vomit, first wank, first whatever.
    Your child is not the most amazing little snookywooky or whatever the hell nauseating crap you want to call it. It's one of millions of other snotty little shit factories the rest of us only care about when it's being too noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  127. Lotta people butthurt about being called out for their annoying Facebook habits. It is funny because there is an element of truth in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - their own little ox has been gored. In any case, people really need to lighten up; this essay is intended to be funny, which it is. To become hysterically angry over this is really, really weird.

      Delete

Follow By Email